NOTE: The ILS systems no longer line up with the runways. I will be removing them soon since they no longer work. Almost every military base I have flown into is missing ILS systems and Navigraph fixes all of the missing ILS/Navaids so I will not be adding ILS back into this mod. I will also be checking frequencies and taxiway routing from the default ATC soon to verify it works before uploading a version 2.
Altus AFB (KLTS) Airfield Overhaul
About: Altus AFB 97th Operations group plans and executes C-17, KC-135 formal school initial and advanced specialty training programs for up to 3000 students annually. Sustains C-17, KC-135 airland, airdrop and air refueling mobility forces providing global reach for combat and contingency operations. Provides air traffic control and weather forecasting for flying operations.
Airfield Information: There are two full length runways and an assault strip used for C-17's practicing short landings.
Runway 18R/36L dimensions: 13440 x 150 ft. / 4097 x 46 m | Surface: concrete, in good condition.
Runway 18L/36R dimensions: 9001 x 150 ft. / 2744 x 46 m | Surface: concrete/grooved, in good condition
Runway 176A/356A dimensions: 3500 x 90 ft. / 1067 x 27 m | Surface: concrete, in good condition
What does this overhaul accomplish?
The autogenerated version of Altus AFB was missing several huge hangars. There was also a beacon in the middle of the ramp that interfered with taxi operations. The runways were still configured to 17/35 instead of 18/36. The taxiways were incorrect and some not correctly implemented. Runway 18R/36L was closed, the assault strip wasn't registered as a runway to begin with. Parking spots were in incorrect places. It was very far from serviceable for anybody wanting to fly there, or do any kind of training in the C-17. Especially if you were looking for assault strip operations.
DISCLAIMER: I MADE THIS VERY QUICKLY AND LOW QUALITY. CURRENTLY THE TAXIWAY LINES ARE ALL ACCURATE, BUT MOST FEATURE SQUARED TURNS/EDGES INSTEAD OF ROUNDED ONES, HOLD SHORT LINES THAT ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE, BUT MAYBE ANGLED A BIT, THE RUNWAYS DO NOT LOOK PERFECTLY LIKE THE REAL LIFE VERSIONS, TAXIWAYS DO NOT HAVE LIGHTING, AND I DIDN"T PROGRAM TAXI LINES WEST OF THE MAIN RAMP. THIS PROJECT IS ON THE BACKBURNER AS I AM FOCUSED ON FINISHING MY RAMSTEIN AB PROJECT FIRST. I JUST CREATED THIS BECAUSE I DO C-17 FLIGHTS OFTEN AND WANTED TO HAVE A SERVICEABLE ALTUS AFB TO FLY AT UNTIL I CAN COME BACK AND OVERHAUL IT FULLY.
Things I have fixed:
- Runway headings changed to 18/36.
- Added runway 18R/36L to airfield and opened it.
- ILS works on 18R/36L and 18L/36R.
- Added 18/36 Assault (Used by C-17s for practicing short landings)
- Renamed the taxiways.
- Overhauled parking spot locations and renamed them.
- Added autogen style hangers to several locations that the buildings were completely missing. These are essential to make the flightline look even somewhat realistic.
- Moved the rotating beacon off of the ramp. I do not know the correct live location.
- The in-game ATC system is fully functional minus taxi to park. You can choose any runway you want depending on the wind, and receive taxi instructions to that runway. Can also swap between all runways while airborne to make approaches to different runways. I wasn't able to figure out why I couldn't get taxi to park options to work. If someone can help, please drop me an inbox and we will try to get it sorted!
Eventually I plan to come back to this project and make things look a lot higher quality but as mentioned in the disclaimer, my Ramstein AB overhaul takes priority as I have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours to make it very high fidelity and still have lots of work to do on it. If anybody finds any bugs or small things that need to quickly be fixed, or the location of the beacon, drop me a message!