Ramona airport (ICAO:KRNM) is a public airport is 40 minutes from downtown San Diego and the beach in California. The airport is mostly used for general aviation, the California Department of Foresty and United States Forest Service (USFS) jointly operate a fire attack base.
As all of my MSFS mod, this small scenery is made from a pilot-eyes perspective. In real, I flew there several time from Montgomery, for pattern training and visit the Plus One Club house. I'm an amateur scenery developer. This mod is made with 99% of MSFS default objects library and feature massive number of details all around the platform. More than 600 objects have been added to the default scenery.
- All airport buildings have been replaced: hangars, FBO's, Air Attack Base, Classic Rotors museum, all external fences and gates, fuel island, executive hangar, airport beacon...
- All new and very specific taxiway signs (look a the blue one at the Air Attack Base)
- Adjustement of all taxiway lines
- FBO's Chuck Hall Aviation, CruiseAir Aviation and Pacific Exec Aviation rebuild
- Replacement of 90% autogen buildings by MSFS Library. Very few are the AI autogenerated buildings by Shark.AI / MSFS engine. All others have been replaced by a more appropriate one from the MSFS library (see remark below).
- 600+ objects to create life: objects from library but also handmade signs and banner on buildings. Caution: due to the vaste amount of detail, this scenery may impact your fps.
- Custom made Control Tower build by BullfrogSim
- Reveal of all helipads (including the north helipad not open to pub ;) reserved for Air Attack Base
- Reveal of Segmented Circle/Windsock south side close to CruiseAir
- Reveal of Compass Rose
- Redesign of Fire Attack Base apron with trace of fire retardand. This scenery can't wait for a Grumman S2 Tracker!
- Replacement of windsocks
- Replacement of PAPI (2 lights, P2L)
- No extra library or depedencies required.
- (optional) 2 x optional static-only S2A Tanker CDF aircraft. It requires to install the mod from by groovyy available at https://flightsim.to/file/59749/s-2-tanker-simobjects and copy the "s2_tanker_simobjects" in your Community folder
History of the airport and background
In 1943 the U.S. Navy built a small, dusty airstrip at what is now the Ramona Airport. In 1956, the facility was conveyed to San Diego County and the airport has now grown to become the aviation center for community service to San Diego's inland and mountain communities. The Ramona Airport is the third busiest facility in the County’s system.
The Ramona Air Attack Base is located in the CAL FIRE San Diego Unit and was established in 1957 by the then California Division of Forestry, making it the oldest Air Attack Base in the Department’s system. In 1960, the US Forest Service set up and operated from Ramona, separate from CDF, until 1966 when the agencies integrated and Ramona became a jointly operated base. Ramona responds to an average of 450 calls per year. On average, the base pumps 850,000 gallons of retardant a year. Ramona has a possible peak output of 250,000 gallons of retardant each day. The base’s direct protection area encompasses over 1.4 million acres for CAL FIRE, 300,000 for the US Forest Service, and covers all of San Diego County.
Uncomplicated airspace, available services, ideal climate and proximity to North County business and recreation centers make Ramona Airport an ideal destination for work or pleasure. Serving every type of aircraft from home-built experimental to corporate jets, the Ramona Airport is home to a fully staffed air traffic control tower, three full-service Fixed Base Operators (FBOs) (Pacific Exec Aviation, Chuck Hall Aviation and CruiseAir Aviation) an avionics center, an aircraft service center, nine aviation businesses, a full-time airport manager and the world's only helicopter museum with operational helicopters (Classic Rotors).
How to install? Unzip the file into your Community folder. Keep the folder structure from the zip (\AirportServices \ContentInfo, \MaterialLibs, \scenery, layout.json and manifest.json at the root directory). Once installed go to KRNM as usual, the scenery is overlayed over the existing default one.
If you love the San Diego area, you should also consider my other sceneries:
- KMYF Montgomery Field : https://flightsim.to/file/5856/montgomery-gibbs-exec-airport-taxiway-fix-and-many-more
- KSEE Gillespie : https://flightsim.to/file/36679/gillespie-field-ksee
- KSDM Brown Field: https://flightsim.to/file/38035/brown-field-muni-kdsm
- KOKB Oceanside: https://flightsim.to/file/37328/oceanside-box-maxwell-memorial-airfield-kokb
- L08 Borrego Valley: https://flightsim.to/file/38247/san-diego-borrego-valley-l08
- L18 Fallbrook Community Airpark : https://flightsim.to/file/63441/fallbrook-community-airpark-l18
- The Bush Trip "San Diego VFR Transition" : https://flightsim.to/file/6276/vfr-transitions-at-san-diego
- You need to have World Update II (USA) installed. As the main building behind the tank of the Air Attack Base, as well as long hangars on west side, are building from Friday Harbor (KFHR) free scenery from Microsoft/Asobo.
- A big thank you to Bullfrogsim for allowing me to use his fully customized control tower!